Monday, April 21, 2014

Week 10, 11, and beginning of 12

Hey guys. So everything has been winding down with our SRPs. I've been working on my presentation and still trying to wrap my head around my paper. While everyone seems to be done with their internships, I have still been going to mine. I was given the opportunity to continue working with the AGI team until the end of May (after all the SRP stuff) which is really great since I get more experience in the lab. I may even begin helping with their new PacBio project on sequencing two different rice varieties before I get into my summer vacation.

Lately, I've been catching up on some reading to see if there's anything more relevant I can add into my presentation background-wise. I also have been questioning about my researched lab report as my final product. Although I have been testing out primers on certain shattering genes, we haven't been able to make conclusive results, so I don't think I'll be able to add in a "results" section at all. Also, we have been working on primers on shattering genes that greatly affected the domestication of Oryza sativa called sh4 and qsh1 but they haven't been working. Sh4 is a quantitative trait locus (QTL) on chromosome 4 in rice and qsh1 is a QTL on chromosome 1 in rice. From different experiments, both of these primers explained 69% of the phenotypic variance between shattering and non-shattering. Currently, I am designing new primers on these genes but won't be able to test them until after my SRP presentation, so I won't get any results until then.

I am possibly thinking of continuing my paper as just a research paper and maybe including some of my experiences in it. But, I will be talking to my advisors about it (hopefully today).

No comments:

Post a Comment