Monday, April 7, 2014

Week 9

Week 9! I can't believe it's almost over!

This week was pretty quiet. I haven't been going to the lab as much. I've been mainly doing to EFE repeat characterization with Dario that I mentioned last week. We should be finishing up soon. I also did a PCR with some primer combinations on a qSh1 gene, which is related to shattering. However, when I tested this last time, the bands in the gels were the same length which shouldn't happen since it seems that O. glaberrima has an insertion in this qSh1 gene of about 100 base pairs, so there should be two bands of different lengths, about 100 bp apart. Sadly, we don't see that, so we may have the rest of the PCR products and sequence them.

gel of the qSh1 combos
I also did a PCR and ran a gel on Friday (mostly because I was bored from staring at my computer screen doing EFE characterizations). I tested a primer that was not linked to a shattering gene and was successful in showing two different bands in the parents (barthii and glaberrima). This primer was on chromosome 8 in O. barthii but since the two parents are related, the primers should also attach to the same region in O. glaberrima. I tested this primer on some DNA plates like I did with the up1 primer few weeks back.   



I also started my outline for my final project. It's going to be more of a lab report even though I don't have a lot of conclusive results since this shattering project isn't completely over. I hope to finish up my outline, look for some more sources, and at least start on my introduction by end of next week. 

No comments:

Post a Comment